Earl Grey Community Centre participates in the Winnipeg Minor Basketball Association. We proudly field teams in both the Fall & Spring Seasons. To register please use the WMBA link below:
REGISTRATION AT WWW.WMBA.CA
COMMUNITY CLUB (AGES 11-18)
FALL SEASON OCT-MARCH
SPRING SEASON APRIL-JUNE
Time: 1 OR 2 PRACTICES PER WEEK, 1 GAME
GAMES ON SATURDAYS 8-11/12 YEAR OLDS SUNDAYS 12/13 YEAR OLDS
Community Club 9-18 yrs old
What is Community Club Basketball?
The WMBA’s main program offered is its Community Club Basketball League (a.k.a. Club Basketball). The Fall / Winter and Spring league is open to boys and girls ages 9-18 (10 girls). There are no ‘tryouts’ for club basketball as we make as many teams in the area based on the number of players who register.
We offer both a Fall / Winter league which runs October through March and a Spring League from April to June. The Club league holds its games weekends (traditionally teams ages 12 and under play Saturdays and ages 13+ run Sundays) along with one practice during the weeknights.
The WMBA is a city-wide league, so teams will be competing against other teams from around the city. We attempt to keep games in a central location fair to all teams in the program. Age divisions are set roughly every 1 to 2 years. We a
re always looking for people to get involved at the league level as either a coach or an administrator.
REGISTRATION TO OPEN MID AUGUST and MARCH
- Age divisions as of 2018 birth year
- Runs October – March
- 16 games + 2 playoff games
- Saturday: 9,10,11,12, boys. 10,11,12, girls
- Sunday: 13,14,15,16-18 boys. 13-14,15-18 girls
- Cost set by community centre
- Runs Saturday/Sunday April – June
- 8 games + 2 playoff games
REGISTRATION TO OPEN MID AUGUST 17
JR NBA 5-7yrs
About the Jr. NBA Program Fun, Basketball Authentic, Maximum Basketball Touches Objectives Provide entry-level basketball program for young children 5 to 7 years old Build a community of league organizers, parents, coaches committed to minor basketball Provide a fun, active and healthy learning environment Curriculum Weekly 45 for minutes.
Fun, Basketball Authentic, Maximum Basketball TouchesObjectives
- Provide entry-level basketball program for young children 5 to 7 years old
- Build a community of league organizers, parents, coaches committed to minor basketball
- Provide a fun, active and healthy learning environment
- Weekly 45 minute practices
- Canadian Sport 4 Life/Long Term Athlete Development compliant
- Aligned with Canada Basketball’s Developmental Pathway
- Curriculum has been developed by NBA Basketball Operations and a team of experts in child development and physical literacy, and basketball fundamentals
- Games will be modified to be age-appropriate, simple and fun
Equipment & Uniform
- Program will include age-appropriate equipment (smaller basketball and lowered adjustable hoops) and modified games
- Participants will receive a size-appropriate Spalding® Rookie Gear Basketball and NBA team branded t-shirt
For more information on the JR NBA please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 204-925-5774 or Visit jrnba.ca
SNYB 8 Boys 8/9 Girls
REGISTRATION TO OPEN MID AUGUST
The SNYB program teaches children the fundamental skills of basketball, using equipment and a game that have been modified to suit the needs and abilities of young children. SNYB in the WMBA is designed for the 8 Boys 8/9 Girls year old player, taking into account the distinct mental, physical and social differences between the children at different ages. Players will practice 1 time a week and 1-2 games per week.
To create opportunities in WMBA for children ages 8 Boys 8/9 Girls:
- Participate in basketball,
- Learn and play basketball, using qualified coaching and programming,
- Learn to compete in a supportive and development-focused environment,
- Improve the “Health of the Nation”.
Committed to the promotion and growth of basketball in Canada, Canada Basketball and Basketball Manitoba will assist the WMBA in the delivery and execution of the Steve Nash Youth Basketball program in our 8 Boys 8/9 Girls through the League Operations manual, Coach’s manual, Official’s Manual, and Parent’s Guide.
Benefits of Steve Nash Youth Basketball
- Member of a philosophically sound, well researched program which addresses a ‘Long Term Athlete Development’ (LTAD) approach to basketball for children
- Reversible jersey for each participant
- Basketball for each participant
- Codes of conduct for all involved – “respecting the game”
- Basketball Manitoba membership including comprehensive accident & liability insurance coverage
- Respect in Sport Coaching Program
- Coaching manual
- Coaching clinics
- Access to Basketball Manitoba’s resource library
- New features every year
- FUN and MORE FUN!
The Steve Nash Youth Basketball Program (SNYB) is a national youth basketball program designed to develop fundamental skills, sportsmanship and a love of the game for basketball. This grassroots initiative supports and empowers community-based recreational groups across Canada in an effort to positively influence youth through basketball. The goal of the program is to allow participants the opportunity to maximize their potential, while promoting the importance of youth basketball as a vehicle to build character, discipline, self-esteem and sportsmanship. The model for Steve Nash Youth Basketball was established after extensive research of existing community basketball programs from across North America and follows the guidelines of Sport Canada’s Long Term Athlete Development Model (LTAD).
The WMBA is a city-wide league, so teams will be competing against other teams from around the city. We attempt to keep games in a central location fair to all teams in the program. Age divisions are set roughly every 1 to 2 years. We are always looking for people to get involved at the league level as either a coach or an administrator.